New in Town

I have been the new girl in town several times in the past few years, and one of the most common concerns I always have is how to meet people in a completely new country, new culture, even new language. Well, this time it hasn't been any different, with the exception of Couchsurfing. This time I have discovered the amazingness of this website. It is not only a place to find a couch where to spend the night but also a meeting point for like-minded people to get together and enjoy each other's company, which I have to say, is a wonderful way of getting to know people when you are new and don't know anyone.
A few years ago, if someone would have told me I would be resorting to this to meet people I probably wouldn't have believed them because I am a bit group shy and big groups can be quite scary sometimes; but not anymore, because this is a new beginning and I have decided to get myself out of my comfort zone as much as possible. I know this is not such a big deal, but I got to start somewhere, right??

Thanks to the people I've met going to this CS events, I've learnt to love this new city I've landed in. By randomly going bouldering one afternoon which then turned into going to a Storyteller in Spanish at a very small theater in the Viertel. And then going to a magic land where a puppetier tells stories while the audience patiently waits to enter an eerie light labyrinth with odd suitcases and old hats. Of street performance festivals where witnessing seemingly weird water fetishes, juggling with wine bottles and enjoying a cup of frozen yogurt. And nothing of this extraordinary set of events would have happened without the people I met through CS. So, next time you feel like doing something different, check out your region's CS site and surely you can find something interesting to do.

Bouldering @ Linie7
Storyteller in Spanish
Puppetier
Light Labyrinth

Labels: , , , , , ,