Poetry Reading and Wine Tasting

I am sorry I have been a bit M.I.A. lately, but life got on the way. Hopefully from now on I'll be keeping up with everything a bit better.

That being said, I wanted to write today a little bit about what I have been up to lately. I consider myself quite lucky to have found such a nice place to do my internship, not just because the people are nice and I am learning a lot, but because it's allowing me to attend quite a few really interesting cultural events and talk to very inspiring people from my home country and other Spanish-speaking lands.

A couple weeks ago couldn't be any different, Antonio Colinas (the link is in Spanish but i'm sure you get an idea), a quite famous contemporary poet from Spain, came to Bremen to read some poems about The Way of St. James, compiled on the book: Allá en el noroeste. Una cartografía literaria del Camino de Santiago en León (Im Jakobsland. Eine literarische Kartographie des Jakobsweges im Nordwesten Spaniens. Gedichte-Erzählungen-Notizen), which has been recently translated into German.



Following the reading, a wine tasting was organised, where attendees would have the chance to taste wines of the four designations of origin in the region of Ourense, one of the last regions the path crosses before reaching the final destination of the pilgrims' route, Santiago de Compostela. 
The wines were professionally served and accompanied by Spanish typical snacks such as olives, home made crisps and kikos (toasted corn snacks). During that time, the atendees could get their books signed or just talk casually with the author, who was an incredibly sweet and down-to-earth man.



Listening to those poems made me feel a bit homesick for the first time in years, but at the same time closer to home than I've been in a while. The way of life I've chosen can be quite miserable but enriching and incredibly exciting at the same time, I wouldn't trade it for anything in this world!


Labels: , , , , , , , ,