#ThrowBackThursday: San Francisco II & bye bye California

Sorry about such an abrupt end last time but I was having some issues with my computer, he didn't want to upload any more pictures of beautiful San Francisco...totally unacceptable! 
View of the Golden Gate Bridge from Coit Tower (Pioneer Park)







View of Alcatraz from Jack Early Park
Alcatraz from Jack Early Park


Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf

Fisherman's Wharf
More Fisherman's Wharf
View of Golden Gate from the Marina Green
Golden Gate from the Marina Green
Now that you've got a recap of what you missed last week (not such a disaster as the post was getting a bit long anyway) let's get on with it, I took on a walking adventure through San Francisco...Twin Peaks, Ocean Beach, the Golden Gate Park and a lot more walking in between. Northern California in all its glory through my eyes!
Market St. on market day
Walking around Market St. on a market day


My last day in San Francisco I decided to explore by foot, see how far I could get (yeah crazy me always pushing my limits), it was a warm sunny day so put myself on a comfy dress and sandals, and headed out the door. Oh how I'd regret my fashion choice about 10 hours later!
Directed myself towards Twin Peaks through Market St. Why Twin Peaks will you ask, well back in the early 90s there was a TV series called Twin Peaks by David Lynch, and my Dad loved it so I just had to visit Twin Peaks even tho it wasn't the same one, call it a weird connection to home.
Life at the top of Twin Peaks
Life at the top of Twin Peaks
Panorama from the top of Twin Peaks
Panorama from the top of Twin Peaks
Close up to Downtown San Francisco from Twin Peaks
Close up to Downtown San Francisco from Twin Peaks





















































The way up the Peaks was long and windy, but the views from up there were pair to none. Other than that, it's just a residential area and a lot of kids coming out of school in my memory. After wandering around a little, I took on the next leg of my walking adventure, down the opposite side to the Sunset District towards the San Francisco Zoo and the amazing, but oh so grey already, Ocean beach.
Ocean beach, San francisco
Ocean beach, San francisco
Ocean beach, San francisco

grey and wild Ocean Beach, San Francisco
From sunny top of Twin Peaks to grey and wild Ocean Beach, San Francisco


The long walk along the beach brought me to an already very grey Cliff House and Camera Obscura before hitting Point Lobos and the USS San Francisco Memorial, and from there to Lands End, uber beautiful trail, definitely worth it, and if you have time you can reach from there the Golden Gate Bridge. 


Camera Obscura

Although I have to say I didn't make it that far, as it was getting quite cold already. Instead I decided to take the first bus I could find towards town. I got lost and ended up back in the Sunset District end of Golden Gate Park. I consider myself quite lucky as I stumbled upon the Japanese Gardens, which are incredible, as the fog started creeping in on me. Coooold! 

Japanese temple in Golden Gate Park

Japanese temple in Golden Gate Park

Japanese temple in Golden Gate Park

Golden Gate Park

Headed myself towards town (thank goodness for my super orientation skills!) through the park, once I Oak St. and the Panhandle I finally found a bus that would bring me back to the hostel and a warm jacket, by this point it was so cold and windy I could barely walk anymore. So kids, when in San Francisco, always take a jacket with you, the weather is craaaazy!



The giant noodle in FIsherman's Wharf
The giant Noodle in Fisherman's WHarf


I left much to see, but if I had done everything already, I'd have no excuse to go back right?? And with that and a cake, I was heading (sloooowly) back to reality, and the next morning flying to New York for the last couple of days in US soil.

I hope you have enjoyed so far the California trip from the busy LA, to sporty San Diego, to the Pacific Highway roadtrip ideas and finally classy San Francisco. Next week will end the #ThrowBackThursday Travel Series US with a visit to New York.

Can anyone tell me if the Giant Noodle is still to this day in Fisherman's Wharf?? and no less important, what are your favourite spots along the California coast? Any tips for my next adventure out there?? Leave me a comment below so I can prep my Tavel bucket list :)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,