5 Essentials for the Frequent Traveller

The past few weeks without a laptop first, then working non-stop, then re-designing the blog made me miss blogging and reading blogs. Which meant that the first thing I did as soon as I got back online was to catch up on my favourite reads. One of them, A Beautiful Mess with their quirky DIY and arts and crafts ideas, has inspired many a projects in Chez Henar throughout the years.

Lately they've been sharing some traveller DIY items, absolutely adorable and fun to make too. That, in combination with my recent hop-on-hop-off Spain-Germany shenanigans and Berlin weekend getaway to The Hive, inspired me to put this list together with travel essentials for the frequent and busy traveler that won't break your bank account,
5 Essentials for the Frequent Traveller

Passport holder: You can just simply carry your passport, or you can carry your passport  in style with a fabulous passport cover. It won't just protect it but will also look great and you can store other documents there just in case to save on space. I have this lovely camera-like passport cover, it was a present but you can buy one of these from Etsy (one | two | three | four), or make your own.

Sleeping mask; Growing up with blinds in my windows in Spain has messed me up, now that I live in Germany where thin curtains are used I have a problem staying asleep. For that reason and despite my dislike for sleeping with things on my face, I got one for home and another for when I travel. Very useful, and easy to carry, and come in so many colors and designs! I specially love the ones with eyelashes prints. However, if you're feeling creative, you can make your own following these instructions.

Home-crafted laundry bag: When I travel I pack everything well in advance to make sure I have everything, but no matter I always forget to pack a bag for the used clothes. Is it just me? To end with this travel calamity, my mum made me a travel laundry bag, so cute and colourful that I could never forget it again. Gotta love our mums, uh?
What she did was pick some light-weight but resistant fabric with a nice pattern and a silk band twice as long as the fabric. She cut the fabric into 2 equal square pieces (the size will depend on how big or small you want your bag to be).  Sew the pieces together in 3 of the sides leaving one open. Fold a couple centimeters of the open side in and sew around leaving it open for the band to pass through. Tie the ends of the band and your bag is ready to go!

Cute notepad & pen: Pen and paper is one of those things I always carry on my at all times, when I travel it's no exception. Because you never know when an idea is going to come up, or something important to write down. And I always find it easier to remember to take it with me if it's a cute notepad. There are hundreds of places where you could get one personalised or simply one with a nice design. I got mine as a Christmas present from Ale-Hop, it's nothing fancy but it fits me so well that I love having it with me and using it.

A small bag to carry your portable battery (and other cables) is such a great thing to have. I use this one from Marimekko I got for my birthday a couple years back from one of my best friends all the way from Finland. But you could also make your own, following the same procedure as the laundry bag.

What items do you consider essentials when you travel? Do you prefer DIY or simply buying things? Please share your thoughts and ideas down in the comments.

Labels: , , , ,